It is believed that the Herkimer Home Root Cellar was constructed around 1764.
It was located 30 feet southwest of the mansion, and its interior was
rectangular. The stone arch and wall of fieldstone and mortar were constructed after the colonial period on the north elevation of the root cellar as a partial foundation for a picnic
pavilion that was built on the structure. This pavilion was removed in 1953.
Insulated with earth and stone, the root cellar maintains a consistent
temperature year round. When properly ventilated, it provided a cool, dry place
for the winter storage of fruits and vegetables and the summer storage of
dairy and baked products. Much like many root cellars, the Herkimer Root Cellar
probably served originally as part of the foundation to a barn. Unfortunately,
the barn which stood here was torn down at some point prior to photographic evidence.