About 1890, the Oneida Historical Society initiated a
movement to erect a monument over Herkimer’s grave. The New York State
Legislature appropriated money for this in 1895. A year later, the 50 foot granite obelisk
was erected on the property and a stone wall was laid around the burial plot. The foundation, pedestal and obelisk are all made of granite.